Sunday, November 2, 2008

Poetry

My school hires a poet every year to come work with the students and give teachers new ideas. This was my first year participating because kindergarteners do not participate.

This was a great experience.  Most of my students were able to write what they wanted to write with a little bit of help.  I learned that a few of my students are really creative and I had not allowed them to show this before.  I will be doing this poetry lesson again soon.

The poet played a CD of instrumental music and had students doodle and draw designs for about 5-10 minutes.  When this was done she had them write about their picture.  They either had to start with "I am" or "I see."  This was a really great experience for some of my students.  I think that one of my students realized that being an author is a real option for a job and I think this really inspired her.

1 comment:

LothLorien Stewart said...

Last year my school had a poetry festival. They students memorized a poem that was written by a famous poet and they memorized a poem they had written themselves. We performed in front of parents and at a local venue for tourists. The students loved performing and they got very into writing poetry as well. It gave them a reason to care about what they were writing.